I had a very varied month this time round with some high highs and some pretty low lows. What I did learn last month was to not binge read a series as I lose interest very quick!
- I read 4 books this month. Technically one book at 3 stories in it as it was a bind up but I read the first 2 in June.
- I read 3 books for my ONTD challenge, 1 book for my sequels challenge and 1 book for my Second Chance Challenge.
- For genre: 1 murder mystery, 2 fantasy and 1 science fiction.
- For the age range: All were adult.
- All the books this month were physical paperbacks.
So this book was a bind up of the first 3 novels in the Phryne Fisher series.
- Cocaine Blues
- Flying Too High
- Murder on the Ballarat Train
I read the first two books in June and the final book in July. I personally count these books as individual books towards my goal. One thing I did take away from this was that I cannot binge read series as I lose interest fast. So much to the point that I don’t plan on continuing this series going forward. I felt like I read enough.
This was an amazing book. I read this a couple of years ago and DNFed it early on because I couldn’t connect to the story. I think this was mainly due to the fact that I wasn’t ready to be tackling adult fantasy yet. I was so happy that I re-read this, great characters, great relationships. My only criticism was the lack of major female characters.
Another amazing story. I was worried that this book was not going to match how great the first book was but I was proven wrong. I have to do a disclaimer though… normally my reviews are concise and easy to follow but my review for this book was all over the place because the book left me mind blown! I couldn’t think straight! That ending was powerful!
What must come up, must inevitably come down and that is how the month went for me. Sadly, I was disappointed again by Christina Henry. I was hoping after reading her book The Mermaid and not enjoying it that things would suddenly work out. But no! This story felt very flat to me and there was way to much walking!