Some of you may know that I love statistics. I love numbers. I mean, I have 3 different book spreadsheets to track my reading. Is it too much? Yes! But something I started last year, which I really enjoyed, was doing a Quartley check-in just after March. I was super excited to do it again this year as it has been the most successful reading quarter since I started this blog!
I am covering from January 1st all the way up until now. So for a quick recap my main hope was to:
- Read 70 books
- Read all my sequels
- Complete the WBTOM Reading Challenge
- Listen to 12 audiobooks
- Read 30 books from my physical TBR
For a more in-depth look at my goals for 2022, check it out here.
Goodreads Reading Challenge
So far this year, I have read 35 books. The most ever! This time last year, I had read 22 books. I am super happy with myself. A lot of the books I have read have been highly rated as well! The reason I have been able to read more is
- I’m a bookseller. My job is all about books. Because of this, I have found that I am more motivated to read.
- I have started to properly get into manga. Manga despite being highly entertaining, and I highly promote reading it, doesn’t tend to take that long to read. So you can get through a bunch of volumes very quickly. I have noticed that the people who have a really high book read count tend to be manga fans. The series I am reading at the moment are so good!
So, I have read 5 sequels so far this year. 5 out of 16. I have enjoyed all of them and I am super exicted to carry on and continue these great series.
The sequels I have read include:
- Attack on Titan: Volume 2 – Hajime Isayama (Attack on Titan #2)
- The Village of Eight Graves – Seishi Yokomizo (Detective Kosuke Kindaichi #3)
- The Obelisk Gate – N.K. Jemisin (The Broken Earth Trilogy #2)
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Volumes 16-18 – Hiromu Arakawa (Fullmetal Alchemist Omnibus #6)
- The Man Who Died Twice – Richard Osman (The Thursday Murder Club #2)
Now, this is where I have been struggling the most. Since working at the bookstore, I have obtained so many new books and I have been reading them instead of prioritising the books I already own. I have only read 9 of my planned 30. I highly doubt I will reach the 30 books I planned but that’s ok. I used to feel like I had to hit all my challenges every year but if I fail one or two at least I have been reading!
The Book of the Month Challenge
A new challenge for this year. I would like to read 1 of my store’s books of the month. So far, I have read 3 out of the 4 announced. I will be honest, I have failed already! I decided this month to focus on some of the ARCs I received from publishers instead of reading this month’s book. The books did not grab me as much and since I have a looming pile of unread books I decided to focus on them…
The books I have read are:
- The Hatmakers – Tamzin Merchant
- Loki: A Bad God’s Guide to Being Good – Louie Stowell
- The Last Firefox – Lee Newbury
The Audiobook Challenge
Another new challenge that came along due to the fact that I got a free year subscription to Audible. The goal is to listen to 12 audiobooks. 1 for each month. So far I have listened to 4. Though 2 of the audiobooks were DNFs.
The audiobooks were:
- Iron Widow – Xiran Jay Zhao
- The Ghost Bride – Yangsze Choo (DNF)
- Empress and Anyiya – Candice Carty-Williams (DNF)
- The Story of the World in 100 Moments – Neil Oliver