Back for another annual post. Every year, around this time, I look at my physical tbr and think to myself which out of these books are the scariest to read. Which books are making me the most apprehensive?
First of all, I want to look back on the books I mentioned last year and see if I read any of them.
- The Devil and the Dark Water by Stuart Turton – I was intially worried due to how much i loved the author’s first book that I wouldn’t like his next book as much. I actually ended up loving it! So that was a success!
- The Child Thief by Brom – Yeah, I DNFd this book pretty early on. I did not like it.
- The Fall of Babel by Josiah Bancroft – I was nervous going into this book as it was the last book in my all time fave series and I was worried it wouldn’t meet my expectations. I will say this, it was good but not as good as I wanted it to be. I didn’t like some of the choices made in this final book with these characters but I also wasn’t awfully disappointed.
- Becoming by Michelle Obama – I have not read this book.
- The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan – I enjoyed this book. There were certain sections that didn’t grab me but certain chapters that blew my mind. I haven’t read anymore from this series yet though. I have been nervous to continue it as the fans have said that the middle books are where it starts to get a tad bit boring.
The Way of Kings – Brandon Sanderson
Now, this has been a series I have been wanting to start for ages. I was trying to get myself more involved with the Mistborn series before I jumped into any other works of his. To be honest I wasn’t sure when I was going to get round to this series. Until… they announced the fancy collectors editions of the first 3 books. I pre-ordered all of them and as of now I have Parts 1 & 2 of The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance.
I am nervous about this book though as I want to love it so badly. Sanderson is one of my auto-buy authors and I want to love everything he writes. Also, it’s a very intense high fantasy series which can be hit or miss.
Sixteen Horses – Greg Buchanan
This book is on this list due to the dark content within the book. Recently I have found that my level of dark content that I can consume has basically become non-existent. I used to read a lot of dark re-tellings or books with no regard to content warnings. Recently though, I have found myself just not enjoying them. I have heard a lot about how this book is quite dark in terms of its content so I am worried I won’t enjoy it.
White Teeth – Zadie Smith
This book is on this list as it’s a book that is the opposite of what I normally read. I don’t much contemporary literary fiction and I get worried that I won’t enjoy it. This book was given to me by a friend and I want love it so badly but because it’s something different from my comfort genres. I am worried I won’t love it.
The Grace of Kings – Ken Liu
This is only my list due to the fact that it’s a very intricate high fantasy story that I am worried I won’t enjoy due to the level of intricacy.